Liège-Guillemins 6

Liège-Guillemins railway station

Liège-Guillemins train station is the main station of the city of Liège, in easternBelgium (Liège is the 3rd biggest city of the country). It is one of the most important hubs in the country and is one of the 3 belgian stations on the high-speed train network. The station is used by 36,000 people every day.

The new station by the architect Santiago Calatrava was officially opened on September 18 2009 with a show by Franco Dragone. It has 9 tracks and 5 platforms (three of 450m and two of 350m). All the tracks around the station have been modernized to allow high speed arrival and departure. The new station is made of steel, glass and white concrete. It includes a monumental arch, 200 metres long and 35 metres high. The building costs were € 312 million.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sun Records, Memphis, Tennessee

Sun Records is a record label founded in MemphisTennessee, starting operations on March 27, 1952. Founded by Sam Phillips, Sun Records was known for giving notable musicians such as Elvis Presley (whose recording contract was sold to RCA Victor Records for $35,000 in 1955 to relieve financial difficulties they were going through), Carl Perkins,Roy Orbison, and Johnny Cash their first recording contracts and helping to launch their careers. Before those days Sun Records had mainly been noted for recording African-American artists, as Phillips loved Rhythm and Blues and wanted to get black music recorded for a white audience. It was Sun record producer and engineerJack Clement, who discovered and recorded Jerry Lee Lewis, while owner Sam Phillips was away on a trip to Florida. The original Sun Records logo was designed by John Gale Parker, Jr., a resident of Memphis and high school classmate of Phillips.

When the crypt goes creak, and the tombstones queak

What is it with people and cemeteries? I didn’t go to this particular cemetery on purpose. When I made a road trip, it was a very hot day and we went to the swimmin’ hole at Bowen Creek. On our way back we passed this cemetery. The sign caught my attention, the dark clouds with a little sun coming through give this picture something mysterious. This picture was obviously made at Bowen Cemetery near Bland, Missouri.

[P8110159.JPG]

The Mackinac Bridge

While flying on this biplane I took a picture of the Mackinac Bridge, this bridge connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan right where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron connect. We drove accross the bridge and spend the night in Saint Ignace, and also took a trip to Sault Ste. Marie on the US / Canadian border. This truly was a beautiful area of Michigan. Right afer I took this picture the pilot made a nose dive down, that was quite surprising but so cool!  The Mackinac Bridge is the longest suspension bridge with two towers between anchorages (8,614 feet) (2.626 meters) in the Western Hemisphere.

[P8160050.JPG]

Grachtengordel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

The Amsterdam Canal District is a neighborhood of AmsterdamNetherlands. The seventeenth-century canals of Amsterdam (in Dutch: ‘Grachtengordel’), located in the heart of Amsterdam, was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in August 2010. The area around the city’s main canals – Singel, Herengracht, Keizersgracht and Prinsensgracht – is an international icon of urban planning and architecture, that is still intact after four centuries.

Grand Foyer, Opéra Garnier, Paris

Opéra Garnier, Paris

The Palais Garnier, also known as the Opéra de Paris or Opéra Garnier, but more commonly as the Paris Opéra, is a 2,200-seat opera house on the Place de l’Opéra in ParisFrance, which was the primary home of the Paris Opera from 1875 until 1989. A grand landmark designed by Charles Garnier in the Neo-Baroque style, it is regarded as one of the architectural masterpieces of its time.

The building is located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris and is served by the metro station Opéra and bus 21, 22, 27, 29, 42, 53, 66, 68, 81, 95.

Upon its inauguration in 1875, the opera house was officially named the Académie Nationale de Musique – Théâtre de l’Opéra. It retained this title until 1978 when it was re-named the Théâtre National de l’Opéra de Paris. After the opera companychose the Opéra Bastille as their principal theatre upon its completion in 1989, the theatre was re-named as the Palais Garnier, though Académie Nationale de Musique is still sprawled above the columns of its front façade. In spite of the change of names and the Opera company’s relocation to the Opéra Bastille, the Palais Garnier is still known by many people as the Paris Opéra, as have all of the many theatres which have served as the principal venues of the Parisian Opera and Ballet since its founding.

Zaanse Schans, The Netherlands

Zaanse Schans, The Netherlands

Zaanse Schans is a neighbourhood of Zaandam, near Zaandijk in the municipality of Zaanstad in the Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. It has a collection of well-preserved historic windmills and houses; the ca. 35 houses from all over the Zaanstreek were moved to the museum area in the 1970s. The Zaans Museum, established in 1994, is located in the Zaanse Schans.

The Zaanse Schans is one of the popular tourist attractions of the region and an anchor point of ERIH, the European Route of Industrial Heritage. The neighbourhood attracts approximately 900,000 visitors every year.

Bass Harbor Head Light

Acadia National Park, Maine

Acadia National Park is a National Park located in the U.S. state of Maine. It reserves much of Mount Desert Island, and associated smaller islands, off the Atlantic coast. Originally created as Lafayette National Park in 1919, the first National Park East of the Mississippi, it was renamed Acadia in 1929.

The park includes mountains, an ocean shorelinewoodlands, and lakes. In addition to Mount Desert Island, the park comprises much of the Isle au Haut, parts of Baker Island, and a portion of the Schoodic Peninsula on the mainland.

In total, ANP consists of more than 47,000 acres (73 square miles, 190 km2), including 30,300 acres (47 sq mi., 123 km2) on Mount Desert Island, 2,728 acres (4.6 sq mi., 11 km2) on Isle au Haut and 2,366 acres (3.5 sq mi., 9.2 km2) on the Schoodic Peninsula.

Cadillac Mountain, named after the French Explorer of the same name, is on the eastern side of the island. Its green, lichen-covered, pink granite summit is one of the first places in the United States to see the sunrise. Miles of carriage roads were originally built by Rockefeller, Jr. The mountains of Acadia National Park offer hikers and bicycle riders views of the ocean, island lakes, and pine forests. The inlet Somes Sound, often described as the “only fjord on the East Coast“, is now called a fjard by officials.

Atlantic City, New Jersey Tiltshift

Atlantic City, New Jersey

Atlantic City is a city in Atlantic County, New Jersey and a nationally renowned resort city for gambling, shopping and fine dining. The city also served as the inspiration for the board game Monopoly. Atlantic City is located on Absecon Islandon the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. As of 2008, the city has a population of 35,770, with 266,268 people living in the Atlantic City–Hammonton metropolitan statistical area. The 3 routes into Atlantic City are the Black Horse Pike/Harding Highway (US 322/40), White Horse Pike (US 30) and the Atlantic City Expressway. Atlantic City is roughly 120 miles south of New York city by road and borders Absecon, Brigantine, Pleasantville, Ventnor and West Atlantic City (part of Egg Harbor Township). Atlantic City officially became a city in 1854. The new city contained portions of Egg Harbor Township and Galloway Township.[7]

ecause of its location in South Jersey, hugging the Atlantic Ocean between marshlands and islands, Atlantic City presented itself as prime real estate and a potential resort town for developers. In 1853, the first commercial hotel, The Belloe House, located at Massachusetts and Atlantic Avenue, was built. The city was incorporated in 1854, the same year in which the Camden and Atlantic Railroad train service began. Built on the edge of the bay, this served as the direct link of this remote parcel of land with Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. By 1874, almost 500,000 passengers a year were coming to Atlantic City by rail. The first boardwalk was built in 1870, along a portion of the beach to help hotel owners keep sand out of their lobbies. Because of its effectiveness and popularity the boardwalk was expanded and modified several times in the following years. The historic length of the boardwalk, before the 1944 hurricane, was about 7 miles (11 km) and it extended from Atlantic City to Longport, through Ventnor and Margate.

The first official road from the mainland to the island was completed in 1870, after 17 years of construction. The road, which ran from Pleasantville, had a $.30 toll. The first free road was Albany Avenue, constructed over the meadows from Pleasantville.

By 1878 because of the growing popularity of the city, one railroad line could no longer keep up with demand. Soon, the Philadelphia-Atlantic City railroad and the Reading railroad were constructed to transport tourists to Atlantic City. At this point massive hotels like The United States and the Surf House, as well as smaller rooming houses, had sprung up all over town. The United States Hotel took up a full city block between Atlantic, Pacific, Delaware, and Maryland Avenues. These hotels were not only impressive in size, but featured the most updated amenities, and were considered quite luxurious for their time. On Wednesday June 16, 1880, Atlantic City was formally opened. In the 1920s, with tourism at its peak, many historians consider this decade Atlantic City’s golden age. During prohibition, liquor flowed freely and gambling regularly took place in the back rooms of nightclubs and restaurants. This era in the city’s history has inspired the HBO Original Series Boardwalk Empire.

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Outer Banks, NC

Way down in North Carolina

Cape Hatteras Light is a lighthouse located on Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina near the community of Buxton, and is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

The Outer Banks are a group of islands on the North Carolina coast that separate the Atlantic Ocean from the coastal sounds and inlets. Atlantic currents in this area made for excellent travel for ships, except in the area of Diamond Shoals, just offshore at Cape Hatteras. Nearby, the warm Gulf Stream ocean current collides with the colder Labrador Current, creating ideal conditions for powerful ocean storms and sea swells. The large number of ships that ran aground because of these shifting sandbars, including the Civil War ironclad warship USS Monitor, gave this area the nickname “Graveyard of the Atlantic.” It also led Congress to authorize the construction of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse which is recognized by the National Park Service as the tallest lighthouse in America.